The day after the floor was poured the framing began and in a little over three hours George and his guys has nearly finished off the framing. All the have left is the front wall with the windows and the staircase.
First thing Thursday morning George arrived with his crew and a concrete truck ready to pour the new floor. After the plumbing ground work passed inspection George leveled the dirt floor (filling in around the new pipes and sump pump.
The plumbing ground work inspection was on Monday (and we passed), but the weekend before George made a few updates to the plumbing. The setup looks a lot better now and more straightforward. Here is the new layout before George added the back water valve. The shower is the closest followed by the toilet and sink.
We picked up the new fabric along with the button kits at Joann's Fabric and got to work on the buttons and piping. The button project proved a bit difficult because the supplied backs in the kit were too flimsy. We used some buttons we had lying around that happened to be the right size. The kit had a fabric template so we cut it to shape, applied some fabric glue, and jammed the button in the back. I wish it was as easy as that, my wife spent quite a bit of time finessing these buttons into shape and her hard work paid off. While all of my attempts failed miserably.
The dig out was completed yesterday. They cut a line in the floor parallel to the back door and remove the remaining concrete and dirt.. There will be a small step up to the utility room.
To our surprise when we came home last night, George had nearly finished the dig out and instead of removing six inches of concrete and dirt he took out a foot. That's right, we went from having a finished 6'10" clearance to 7'4". The guys did an amazing job.
When we bought the house four years ago the backyard wasn't ideal for our needs. A big concrete slab without a fence. So we've slowly made improvements to make it a more livable space. Here's the back yard right after the purchase.